Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ribs with various rubs

I've been tweaking my rib rub for a while and come to the conclusion that i really like some citrus in the rub. and a little heat. today i have some babybacks on and just used some left over rib rub with the addition of rind from one grapefruit that i dried in the oven. image
in the past i used red grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange, fresh basil from garden (like that a lot) and a pepper from the garden.
ribs smokin'
since i'm doing babybacks today i'm planning on 4-5 hour cook. smoking 2.5 hours, texas crutch for 1 hour, then depending on toothpick test i'll smoke some more or go straight to grilling with sauce to carmelize the glaze. i'm planning on two coats of sauce both sides. Sauce will be doctored up store bought with some honey and siracha, Siracha, by the way may become short of supply because the plant is having to shutter production because residents are complaining of the pepper smoke in the air. Stock up!
rib spice grapefruit.JPG
750 x 563 - 181K
rib spices.JPG
752 x 564 - 281K
ribs rubbed.JPG
750 x 563 - 200K
rib cookin.JPG
750 x 563 - 354K
ribs smokin.JPG
750 x 563 - 233K
Brian, Charlotte, NC
Large Black Infinity since Dec. 2010

Comments

• AshmanAshman Posts: 884
    Nice post. Think I'll try some citrus in my next batch of rub. Sounds interesting.
    Ash
    Always there before the food arrives. Search grilldomeash on youtube!
  • GrillDadGrillDad Posts: 915
    edited December 2013
    @ashman, I worked on a pro grill team for MBN contest in Charlotte a few years back and our neighbor ended up taking 3rd place in ribs. He was very generous with his info and gave me every ingredient in his rub, just not quantities. Dried citrus rind from multiple lemon, lime, grapefruit were all in there. some of your regular suspects. then a couple more that were strange. some chinese tea was another i remember. i immediately tried the citrus in my next rib rub and really liked it. this last one was just grapefruit, which was good but not as tasty as the full spectrum. I really liked the fresh dried basil too. Let me know what you think. Are you buried in snow right now?
    Brian, Charlotte, NC
    Large Black Infinity since Dec. 2010
  • AshmanAshman Posts: 884
    Yes we have snow but the grill will be open for ribs and prime rib for the holidays. Maybe a pork butt too.
    Ash
    Always there before the food arrives. Search grilldomeash on youtube!